Since ancient times, traditional medicine has used turmeric to cure various diseases. It is orangish-yellow in colour and belongs to the ginger family. Turmeric is known for its active ingredient, curcumin, which is believed to have potent anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. Turmeric extract is a popular supplement used to improve health and well-being. This article will explore its benefits and how it can help you achieve a healthier lifestyle.
What is Turmeric Extract?
It is an extract obtained from the root of the turmeric plant. The extract is made by grinding the turmeric root into a fine powder and then extracting the curcumin using a solvent. The resulting extract is a concentrated form of curcumin more easily absorbed by the body than turmeric powder. The extract is available in turmeric capsules, tablets, and liquid form.
Health Benefits of Turmeric Extract
- Anti-inflammatory Properties Curcumin is known for its potent anti-inflammatory properties. Chronic inflammation is linked to various health problems, including heart disease, cancer, and Alzheimer’s. By reducing inflammation, it may help lower the risk of these diseases. Some studies have shown it is as effective as some anti-inflammatory drugs but without side effects.
- Antioxidant Properties Curcumin is a potent antioxidant as well. Antioxidants aid in defending the body against the damage done by free radicals and other unstable chemicals that can harm cells and speed up cellular ageing and disease. By neutralising free radicals, it may help prevent or slow the development of chronic diseases such as cancer, heart disease, and Alzheimer’s.
- Pain Relief Curcumin has been shown to have pain-relieving properties. Some studies have found it is as effective as over-the-counter pain relievers in reducing pain and inflammation. It may be especially helpful for people with arthritis, as it has been shown to reduce joint pain and stiffness.
- Improved Brain Function Curcumin has been shown to improve brain function and reduce the risk of brain diseases such as Alzheimer’s disease. In one study, participants who took a curcumin supplement for 18 months showed significant improvements in memory and attention compared to those who took a placebo.
- Lowered Risk of Heart Disease Heart disease is the leading cause of death worldwide. Curcumin may help lower the risk of heart disease by improving the function of the endothelium, the lining of the blood vessels. Research has proven that curcumin may help lower cholesterol levels and reduce inflammation, both risk factors for heart disease.
How to Take Turmeric Extract
You can obtain the extract in multiple formulations, including turmeric capsules, pills, and liquid. The recommended dosage varies depending on the product and the individual. Before consuming any new supplement, it’s crucial to read the product label’s directions and get medical advice. Although turmeric supplements may have several health benefits, it should be used as a part of a healthy lifestyle that includes a balanced diet and frequent exercise.
Turmeric extract is a natural supplement that has many potential health benefits, including anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties, pain relief, improved brain function, and a lower risk of heart disease. If you are taking medications or have any medical conditions, it is crucial to use it in appropriate doses as well as consult a healthcare professional before using any new supplement. Turmeric supplements can be a useful addition to a healthy lifestyle and may help you achieve optimal health and well-being. With proper use and guidance from a healthcare professional, it can potentially support and enhance your overall health and wellness journey.